Bacon, egg, avocado and tomato salad.
This was a paleo recipe that my daughter gave me a while back. I really am trying to cook and eat a little healthier at least for the next couple of months.
If you don’t know what the paleolithic diet is well it is also referred to as the “caveman diet”, “Stone Age diet” and hunter-gatherer diet. Eat like our ancestors did. The diet is centered on items like grass-fed pasture raised meats, fish, vegetables, nuts, seeds, minimal fruit and EXCLUDES grains, legumes, dairy products, sugar and also processed oils or really most processed food for that matter.
I have found after looking at many of her recipes that some are quite good and very tasty. And for the time being I will be trying some of her favorites occasionally. The key word in that statement is “time being” and “occasionally”.
The author of this recipe also suggested adding a tablespoon of mayonnaise. I took the mayo and added a little healthy olive oil and toss it with the mixture. Loved the salad is all I can say.
I did add some cilantro to this recipe and served it on a bed of finely shredded lettuce and tossed at the last minute. The only change I might make the next time would be to add some finely diced red onion and a little more sea salt. I would definitely make this recipe again whether I was dieting or not.
We all know anything is made better with bacon.
I used small grape tomatoes, halved.
Run the cubed avocado under water and it will help prevent darkening. No need for lemon juice.
A bed of finely shredded lettuce for your avocado salad.
Before serving give it a good toss to mix the lettuce with the rest of the salad.
- 2 ripe avocado chopped into chunks
- 4 boiled eggs chopped into chunks
- 1 box cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- juice of one lemon
- juice of one lime
- 4-8 pieces of Applewood bacon fried and crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3-4 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro optional
- Put the chopped avocado, egg and tomato in a bowl. Drizzle with the lemon/lime juice, salt and pepper. Mix the mayonnaise and olive together and lightly toss with the salad mixture. Add crumbled bacon.
- For my salad I put some finely shredded lettuce in the bottom of the bowl and topped with the avocado, tomato salad.