Fall Slaw Y’all!
I actually made this slaw for Labor Day and I was thinking summer slaw. But, now it is Fall I’m calling it a Fall slaw. Even though it is still very hot in our part of Texas it’s still Fall. When I was a kid I always associated Fall with going back to school and little plaid dresses with ties in the back or in high school with long plaid skirts and “bobby socks”.
The more I thought of this recipe I thought of Fall fruits. Cranberries and apples are Fall fruits, so this should be my go-to FALL SLAW recipe. The pistachios along with the apples add a tasty little crunch to a sometimes boring cabbage slaw. The hot honey adds a little hotness to balance out the sweetness of the fruits.
Our new home is really coming along and hoping to be in it by Christmas maybe I will be making this Fall Slaw to go with a smorgasbord of Christmas favorites. Do you have a favorite slaw recipe? If so, leave me a note in the comment section.
BLAST FROM THE PAST: So, I don’t have a blast from the past because I couldn’t locate my little book where I have logged every blog post since 6/2009. I’m thinking it would be fun if everyone (whoever may see this) makes their own blast from the past of a recipe you haven’t prepared since your early days of marriage/cooking/etc. I still prepare several things that I made the first year of our marriage and that was 54 years ago.
It’s easy to have all the ingredients chopped and ready to assemble before serving.
Add the onion, cilantro, jalapeño and cranberries to the bowl of cabbage. You can cover until ready to add apples and serve.
I add the apples in right before serving.
Add in the chopped pistachios and enough dressing to lightly coat. Salt and pepper to taste.
Fall Slaw, Y'all
- 2 c. each red and green cabbage finely shredded
- 1/2 c. thinly sliced red onion
- 4-5 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 1/2 c. roasted pistachio nuts
- 1/2-3/4 c. dried cranberries
- 2 Granny Smith apples cut into julienned pieces
- 1 chopped jalapeno optional
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. gratewd lime zest
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. hot honey
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. salt and black pepper
- Finely shredded the cabbages and put in large bowl. Add the red onion, cilantro cranberries and jalapenos (if using them) to a bowl. Julienne the apple about 30 minutes before serving and add to the slaw mixture.
- To make the dressing finely mince the garlic, add the lime juice, zest, honey, mustard and salt and pepper. Slowly drizzle in 1/2 cup of olive oil until it has emulsified. Whisk until it is nice and thick.
When ready to serve add just enough dressing to. moisten the slaw and then sprinkle with pistachio nuts and cilantro and serve and of course enjoy.