Who would have thunkit that Spaghetti Squash could be so good with Shellfish!
The first time I every had shellfish with pasta was when we were in Italy three years ago (I would really like to go back someday with our kids and their families.). When I usually think of pasta, I think of red sauce with meat. One night a friend who was with us ordered a dish that had the shrimp, mussels and clams along with fettuccine. After watching her scoop all the wonderful shellfish out of it’s shells, mix it with the pasta, twirl it around her fork, I decided the next night out, I would have to try this dish. I did and it was delicious.
Even though this isn’t pasta, this dish is wonderful. I thought for a healthier dinner I would forgo the pasta for spaghetti squash.
If you have never tried spaghetti squash, you should try it. It’s fun to cook and watch it turn into spaghetti right before your eyes.
Here are all my ingredients ready for the pan. As you can see, my little veggie chopper is making it’s appearance again. I love that thing.
I’ve never cooked mussels or clams before so I didn’t know what to expect. Surprise, surprise, they did open up just like they were suppose to.
And here it is with a little salad I through together out of my herb garden. A little musculum lettuce, some arugular, some fresh herbs, cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and a little white balsamic vinegar and a little olive oil. Simple, but delicious.
Shellfish with Spaghetti Squash
- 1/2 lb. mussels bearded
- 1/2 lb. Littleneck clams
- 1 lb. shrimp uncooked, shelled and deveined
- 1 red bell pepper sliced in long julienned pieces
- 1/2 lbs. mushrooms sliced
- 2 shallots chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2-3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. dried red pepper flakes
- 3 sprigs tarragon leaves stripped, or 1 tsp. dried
- 1-2 sprigs thyme leaves stripped, or 1 tsp. dried
- 1 tsp. fresh rosemary chopped
- 1/2 c. dry white wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, melt the butter and the olive oil together. Saute the shallots and garlic for 1-2 minutes until translucent, then add the red bell pepper and mushrooms. Continue sauteing for a couple minutes more.
- Add all the spices and the shellfish. Saute until the herbs get very fragrant. Add the wine and cover and cook on high heat until the shellfish have all opened up. This should take 3-4 minutes.
- For the spaghetti squash, cut in half and scrap out all the seeds. Add about 1 Tbsp. water to the center of each half of squash. Cover with waxed paper or parchment paper and microwave for about 8-9 minutes or tender. I usually take mine out a little before it is perfectly done because I know I'm going to be putting it back in to reheat. Using a fork, drag it across the squash -- voila, you have spaghetti.