Corn, corn, corn, and what to do with it.
So, it’s the end of summer and I’m sure by now your are wondering what to do with all that fresh corn you are seeing in the markets.
Over the 4th of July I picked up some for 10/$1. I can tell you I bought more than 10 ears at that price. Most of it I cut off the cob to put in the freezer for some corn and shrimp chowder I want to make once the temperatures start falling.
What’s some other things you could make with corn? Well, to start with corn on the cob; that’s an easy one. How about some Mexican street corn (still corn on the cob but a little dressed up), some cream or fried corn, Corn and Crab Frtitters (under my hot appetizers), Grist with Corn and Goat cheese, my Funky Corn, Sweet Corn Risotto; all the above are on this site. And, if you look under sides, and salads/soups you will probably find many more.
This makes a great potluck salad to take to one of your summer parties and if you don’t care for feta cheese add one of your favorites; I think a blue cheese would be a great addition.
BLAST FROM THE PAST: This Green and Yellow Tomato Salsa goes well with anything from the grill.
Cut the feta cheese into small cubes.
Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
Put everything in the bowl except for the feta.
Pour the dressing over the salad and lightly toss.
Add in the feta and lightly toss again.
Summer Corn Salad
- 4-5 ears fresh corn cooked
- 1/2 red bell pepper cut in small dice
- 1/2 small red onion cut in small dice
- 1-2 avocados peeled and cut in large dice (rinse in cold water after peeling)
- 1 small carton cherry tomatoes I used the mixed colored ones
- 1/3 c. cilantro chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 2-3 oz. feta cheese cut into small cubes
- 1 lime juice and zested
- pinch chipotle chili powder
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the corn however you choose; boil it, grill it, or bake it. After it has cooled, cut kernels from cobs and put into a large bowl.
- In that same bowl add in the bell pepper, tomatoes, red onion and the garlic.
- In a small bowl mix the dressing ingredients until blended and drizzle over the corn salad and toss to coat. Add in the feta cheese and gently toss once more. Cover and refrigerate a few hours so the flavors mingle.