A delightful accident.
(I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and looking forward to the new year.)
I have to say this recipe was an accident. We went to one last movie before the second knee surgery back in October. Usually we are so full of popcorn when we leave we really don’t want to eat dinner. Earlier that day I found one abandoned tuna steak that had been in my freezer for awhile and decided to thaw and grill it after returning home.
Trying to come up with a side dish that would be quick, I found a few veggies that were just begging to be cooked. I started with two small zucchinis and used my handy little julienne tool and made long pieces of beautiful zucchini. Next I found some green cabbage and sliced it just as thinly as I possibly could, and red and yellow bell peppers came next along with a little sesame oil, sesame seeds and last to dive into the pan were a few halved cherry tomatoes.
To my surprise it was delicious. The tuna just had a quick marinade and grilled 2 minutes on each side. I may have rushed the last 2 minutes a bit. Also had some sweet soy glaze in the refrig so the tuna had a few drizzles of that.
This recipe just goes to show you that you can make a wonderful little side dish with just about anything you can find in your refrigerator. I always say, if I can do it, you can do it!
A very quick stir fry.
I topped mine with tuna steak slices but I think this would be delicious with any kind of grilled fish or even chicken.
Drizzle of sweet soy glaze finishes the plate.
- 2 small zucchini zulienned
- 1 c. finely shredded cabbage
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- small red and yellow bell peppers I used the minis
- 4-6 campari tomatoes halved
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds toasted
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive, and sesame oils in a skillet. Add the red onions and cabbage and stir for about 3-4 minutes. Then add in the bell pepper, zucchini, and tomato halves and cook for another 5-6 minutes. I like my veggies on the crunchy side so cook your's how you are going to enjoy them. Add the sesame seeds and salt and pepper to taste.
- I topped my veggies with a grilled tuna steak that had a soy, lime juice, sesame oil and black pepper marinade; grilled 2 minutes per side.