I love Chimichurri on this flank kebab. The color of the sauce is so vivid and pretty on the plate.
I love flank steak. It’s one of those pieces of meat that a lot of people don’t know what to do with because it can be tough. I have cooked flank steak for years and have found that if you marinade it for a few hours it will be very tender. Flank should always be cut cross-grain and never cooked more than medium to medium-rare.
The flank comes from the abdominal muscle of a cow and is a long thin piece of meat. It looks a little like skirt steak that is used in making fajitas. Normally it needs some type of moist cooking method. But I have found just marinating it, grilling for about 30 minutes, produces a juicy, tender steak.
Over the years I have taken flank steak strips and spread them with a blue cheese spread, rolled it up, skewered it and served as an appetizer. We have had it as an entree marinated in my teriyaki sauce (see below), and I have skewered it with marinated mushrooms for an appetizer. Always cut it very thin and you will never be disappointed in this piece of meat.
You can either put the chimichurri sauce in a bowl for dipping or put some on a plate and serve with a few kebabs.
These cute little picks came from www.pickonus.com. They have so many different kinds of picks and containers to use for your parties — take a look at their site.
Grilled Flank with Chimichurri Sauce
- 1 flank steak
- Marinade ingredients:
- 3/4 c. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/4 c. finely chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- Chimichurri Sauce:
- 3/4 c. Italian parsley
- 1/4 c. cilantro leaves
- 1/4 c. fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 c. chopped onion
- 1/4 c. chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. fresh oregano leaves
- 1/2 c. olive oil more if needed to thin consistency
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- For marinade: Mix all ingredients and marinate steak for 4 or more hours, turning occasionally. Grill the steak over hot coals. Cut in thin slices on the diagonal. Either serve as main dish or skewer thin pieces and serve with chimichurri sauce for dipping.
- For Chimichurri: Put all ingredients except oil in food processor and process for a few seconds. Slowly drizzle in the oil until you get the desired consistency. Serve with the flank kebabs or with grilled meats and vegetables.
Watermelon Feta Squares – Rosemary and the GoatOctober 15, 2019 at 6:06 pm
[…] FROM THE PAST: Grilled Flank Kebobs with Chimichurri Sauce is a great little appetizer to do for a party. The flank can be marinated the day before and […]