Great make-ahead appetizer for holiday parties.
Merry Christmas everyone and here’s a little appetizer you can plan for your New Year’s Eve celebration.
I remember my first shrimp appetizer I made as a newly wed. And, it wasn’t as delicious as this shrimp pie. My early years of marriage, I’m sure like most people’s, was full of quick little appetizers because most of us didn’t know how to cook and a fancy canapé might have been a Ritz cracker with some Cheese Whiz.
One of my first appetizers was taking a block of cream cheese and covering it with “gasp” canned shrimp and topping it with a bottle of chili sauce. Did you ever do the Pickapeppa sauce on cream cheese. Now, that’s still one I enjoy making.
Appetizers have always been one of my favorite things to make for myself and also for parties I cater. I love having a freezer full of leftover appetizers that I can pull out on a moment’s notice and come across as the perfect little wife. That’s funny because I’m so far from being perfect.
I decided to make this at the last minute for our bunco group in December. I had all the ingredients and this appetizer is fast to throw together with a lot of taste. It does have chili sauce in it but a lot of other tasty things. I hope you will add this to your collection of recipes to try out for your next party.
Layered Shrimp Pie
- 1 lb. shrimp cooked, deveined and chopped
- 16 oz. cream cheese
- 4 Tbsp. sour cream
- 4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. ground red chili pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 c. green onions
- 12 oz. bottled chili sauce
- 3/4 c. black olives
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 2 c. Monterey Jack cheese finely shredded
- Crackers or toasted baguettes
- Chop the cooked shrimp into thirds. In your mixer bowl, cream the cream cheese, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice pepper, garlic together. Stir in the chopped shrimp. Spread in 9" springform pan or other dish that you might want to serve from.
- On top of the mixture layer the chili sauce, green onions, black olives, green pepper and finish with the shredded cheese. Garnish top with a couple of whole shrimp. Serve with your favorite crackers.
- *Note: If using a springform pan, remove sides and slide the pie to a platter. I like to make it in a dish that I can serve directly from.