I don’t think I ever met a potato I didn’t like.
I was laying in bed this morning watching one of my favorite FoodTv chefs, Giada and she was making everything with lemons. I sit out on my deck each evening admiring all the blooms on my Myer Lemon Tree and I swear there are at least a million blooms on this tree this Spring and I’m envisioning what kind of things I will be able to make with the beautiful lemons come fall. Even with all these blooms I will probably only get about 20 lemons. Never figured that out but I appreciate each and every one I get off this tree.
I have a fabulous herb garden this year and am anxious to try my lemon thyme and parsley in this dish. I love potatoes, and who doesn’t. This is a great recipe that would be oh so good for summer cookouts. And, believe it or not, it is so much fun smashing these little potatoes with your hands.
Potatoes, herbs, red pepper, and lemon. Simple and delicious.
The dressing is a breeze to throw together. Lemon juice, zest, olive oil and the herbs.
The little cuties are boiled and ready for smashing. Just press with the palm of your hand to flatten. Be careful you don’t break them apart.
Put the sauteed peppers on the plate and top with potatoes and drizzle generously with the lemon thyme dressing.
Fried Smashed Potatoes with Lemon Thyme
- 2 lbs. baby or fingerling potatoes
- 1/4 c. olive oil plus extra as needed
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and halved
- 1/2 red bell pepper cut in julienne
- 1 shallot sliced
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh lemon thyme leaves
- 2 lemons zested
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Shaved Parmesan cheese optional
- Put the potatoes in large stockpot with cold water to cover at least by 2 inches. Bring the water to a boil over medium heat and cook until the potatoes are tender about 20-25 minutes. Drain the potatoes in a colander and allow to dry for 5 minutes. Using the palm of your hand, gently press the potatoes until lightly smashed.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 cup of oil over medium-high heat. Add the red bell pepper and saute for 2-3 minutes and then add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove the garlic and the red peppers. In batches, add the smashed potatoes and cook, without stirring until the bottoms are golden brown, about 5-8 minutes. Using a spatula, turn the potatoes over and cook, drizzling with oil if needed, until golden brown on the other side for another 5-8 minutes.
- For the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, parsley, lemon thyme and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the dressing over the potatoes. Add in the red bell pepper and garlic and toss gently until coated. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the potatoes to a serving bowl and serve. Optional, top with some shaved Parmesan cheese.
- These would be great with some grilled fish, burgers or chicken. You can boil and smash in advance and then fry before serving.
ChristinaH (on Foodbuzz)April 23, 2010 at 4:13 pm
All I can say, is Mmmmm-mmmm! What an unusual variation for mashed potatoes…smashed potatoes! Love it.
Parsley Fingerling Potatoes – Rosemary and the GoatOctober 18, 2019 at 4:24 pm
[…] FROM THE PAST: Herbed Smashed New Potatoes with Thyme — Great little recipes, 1900 viewers visited this […]