Stuffed Peppers for dinner!
Don’t you love bell peppers, and to stuff them with something healthy and delicious makes them even better.
I have some pepper planted outside this year. We’ll see what they produce. I’ve also planted some shishito peppers and I’m really hoping they produce big time; also trying some okra, and cherry tomatoes in our tiny back yard garden at our tiny house here in Round Top.
My mother always made stuffed peppers with cooked rice mixed with the hamburger meat on the inside and I loved them that way and still make them occasionally. Sometimes I can shut my eyes and see her cooking in the kitchen and smell the food I remember her cooking. There’s this one song, “The Wayward Wind”, I still remember playing in the background from a transistor radio while she is cooking. Do you have memories like this?
This recipe, though, I decided to make them a little healthier and use some cauliflower rice on the inside. I have always said I don’t care for things that “pretend” to be something else. Like cauliflower pretending to be rice or spaghetti squash pretending to be spaghetti. We all know the difference don’t we? So If I eat spaghetti squash, I’m eating it as a squash and not “fake spaghetti”. I have to say that the cauliflower rice was actually good in this recipe and we didn’t even know that it was a substitute for something else.
BLAST FROM THE PAST: Here’s a Summer Corn Salad that is quick to throw together.
Cut the bell peppers in half and put in a microwaveable dish with about 1/2 cup of water and steam for 6-7 minutes until they are partially cooked.
Stuff the peppers with the meat mixture and top with some of the tomato sauce and some extra parmesan cheese. Bake in oven for about 30-40 minutes.
Stuffed Bell Peppers with Cauliflower Rice
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 3 bell peppers cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 bag of cauliflower rice
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 2-3 cloves garlic crushed and finely chopped
- 1 c. onion diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 c. beef broth
- Mozarella cheese
- parmesan heese
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 1-2 Tbsp. A-1 Steak Sauce
- 1-2 Tbsp. Heinz 57 Steak Sauce
- 1-2 Tbsp. Ketchup
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar optional
- Cut the bell peppers in half and remove stem and seeds. Put in a microwaveable dish and add about 1/3 cup water. Cook until they start to soften a little. May take about 5-6 minutes. Remove from water and cool.
- Steam the cauliflower rice per bag instructions. Drain. Mix the ground beef in a large bowl with the cooked cauliflower rice. Add in the garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Stir in the beef broth, mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese. Stuff the peppers with enough of this mixture to mound up.
- Put the peppers in oven proof baking dish with about 1/4 cup water in bottom of pan. Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes.
- Mix all topping ingredients together. After the peppers have cooked for about 30 minutes, spoon some of the topping sauce over the peppers and sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese. Bake another 15-20 minutes until the filling has browned and is no longer pink.