This mixture of berries is wonderful.
It’s berry picking time again and what berries are you going to be picking and the BIG question is what are you going to make with them. Don’t you just love trying out new recipes on friends and family? I do and this one turned out great.
This recipe came to life when I saw Pioneer Woman make her Blackberry Cobbler. I needed a quick dessert for a meeting I was having at my house one night and with blackberries and blueberries in the freezer I had a head start on the grocery shopping. I knew I wanted to add strawberries to the mix and I think that was a good move. You can decide what fruits to use when you make it and if you do, please leave a comment below.
I made one other change which you may or may not want to try; I added some chopped crystallized ginger to the top of the cake. I love the peppery, sugary bite it added to the cobbler. This recipe is definitely more of a cake than a cobbler, I think, and a little vanilla whipped cream just takes it up a notch. I guess ice cream on the warm cobbler/cake right out of the oven would be wonderful but I’ve always gone more for whipped cream than ice cream on desserts.
I’m calling this a cake because to me a cobbler has lots of fruits, juice and pastry crust strips on the bottom and top of the dessert. That’s what I grew up with.
BLAST FROM THE PAST: Need another use for those berries. Here’s a Blackberry and Raspberry Upside Down Cake that I posted back in 2009.
I used blueberries, blackberries and strawberries with crystallized ginger on top. Use your favorite fruits.
Generously butter bottom and sides of dish you are baking your dessert in. I did not use that whole stick.
Whisk the sugar and flour together.
Whisk in the milk.
Whisk in the melted butter.
Pour the batter into the bottom of the buttered dish.
Top the batter with the fruit and the chopped ginger and sprinkle with sugar.
Right out of the oven.
I couldn’t wait to scoop it up. It’s even better with the whipped cream on top.
Very Berry Cake
- 1 stick Butter
- 1-1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Self-Rising Flour
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/2-3/4 c. blackberries
- 1/2-3/4 c. blueberries
- 1/2-3/4 c. strawberries quartered
- 2-3 Tbsp. finely chopped crystallized ginger optional
- Melt butter in a microwavable dish. Pour 1 cup of sugar and flour into a mixing bowl, whisking in milk. Mix well. Then, pour in melted butter and whisk it all well together. Butter a baking dish.
- Now rinse and pat dry the blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries. Pour the batter into the buttered baking dish. Sprinkle fruit over the top of the batter; distributing evenly. Sprinkle ¼ cup sugar over the top and add the crystallized ginger if you are using it.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until golden and bubbly. If you desire, sprinkle an additional teaspoon of sugar over the cobbler 10 minutes before it’s done.