Oh how I love mashed potatoes.
Very good side dish for my roasted chicken.
I’m really trying to be good with this new year just beginning. I’ve been going to the gym 3 times a week and have drug out my Zumba tapes that I paid a fortune for and clumsily trying to do the dance steps in my kitchen (with no one watching of course).
I do dream of mashed potatoes (not really). We never eat potatoes much since our kids have left home because we really don’t need to be eating them. I remember as a kid loving to lick the pan. In fact, I would rather have licked the mashed potatoes out of the pan than have a big heaping pile in my plate.
Mashed potatoes are great for holding all kinds of gravy and even sauerkraut (for my sister) or to put on top of a shepherd’s pie. I always loved the little lumps my mother would leave when mashing the potatoes. Sure way to tell that she did not use instant potato flakes. There’s just something about cold weather (and we are having some now here in Texas) that makes me crave something mashed and smooth and comforting to go with roasted chicken and this cauliflower mash with kale hits the spot and not too many calories either.
I know a lot of people have mashed cauliflower to make mock mashed potatoes, but they don’t fool me. We had Giada’s recipe for mashed potatoes with kale with our prime rib for Christmas dinner and it was wonderful; but this recipe is healthier and I have added parsnips to the cauliflower mash to give it a little more character. See what you think of this recipe. If you try it, please leave a comment below.
Basket full of good things.
Cook the cauliflower and the parsnips together in a small amount of water until tender. Or, you can steam them.
I put the cooked cauliflower and parsnips in my new 16 cup Cuisnart food processor. First time I have used it since Christmas and I love it. It comes with 3 sizes of bowls which will really come in handy.
Fold in as much of the kale mixture as you want. I saved some of mine to go with some eggs for breakfast.
Aren’t they beautiful. And do they ever taste wonderful.
Cauliflower Mash with Kale
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 parsnip peeled and cut in chunks (I've done 2 before)
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and smashed
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. butter room temperature
- 2-3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch kale stemmed and chopped into 1" pieces
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, salt and pepper. Cook until translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. All the kale and chicken broth. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale has wilted. This will take 10-12 minutes. Set aside.
- Either steam or cook the cauliflower and parsnip in water until tender. Drain and then put mixture in food processor and process until mashed thoroughly. Add the 2-3 Tablespoons of butter and Parmesan cheese. Add just enough broth to get the consistency you desire. Take the still warm kale mixture and fold this by hand into the mashed cauliflower. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy your mock mashed potatoes and think of all the calories you are saving.
- Note: Make sure you drain the cauliflower very well so you don't have a watery mash. I would put in a strainer and press down on the cauliflower. Also, the last time I made these, I did not need to add any broth to the mixture at all.