Like eggplant? Try this recipe.
Several months ago our neighbor, Mark, gave me this eggplant from his garden and as usual when I see an eggplant I want to make eggplant parmesan. This time, however, I decided to try something different to go with some steelhead trout we were grilling for dinner.
Over the years I have bought several types of eggplants. The miniature ones I have used for my Baby Eggplant with Pine Nut Salsa which made a cute and tasty little appetizer or side dish. I’ve prepared the graffiti, globe, Japanese, and white ones. I’ve cut very thin, fried and served with a drizzle of honey like we had in Spain, I’ve done stir fries with them, made caponata and of course eggplant parmesan. Aloo Baisan (eggplant and potato) is a recipe I posted by in 2012; this recipe is a different take on an eggplant/potato side dish.
If you like eggplant and try this, let me know in comments below what you think and if you made any additions.
BLAST FROM THE PAST: Dust off that grill and try my Garlic Lime Pork Tenderloin.
Great side dish from such simple ingredients.
Mix the red pepper, jalapeno and onion together and set aside.
Fry the potatoes until crisp and tender. Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels.
Fry the eggplant also and drain on paper towels.
Saute the vegetables.
Add the potatoes and eggplant pieces to the skillet.
Add in the sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Eggplant, Potatoes and Peppers
- 1 large russet potato peeled (or not), cut into 3/4-1" pieces
- 1 medium size eggplant peeled cut in 1" pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper cut into 1" pieces
- 3 green onions sliced thin
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp. fresh grated gingerroot or 1/2 tsp. ground
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/2-1 tsp. fermented chili paste see note below
- Cooking oil for frying
- Prepare the potato, eggplant and red bell pepper and cut into sizes mentioned above.
- Slice the green onions and set aside. Mince the garlic and grate the ginger root and set aside.
- For the sauce, mix the sugar, salt and pepper, Hoisin sauce, soy sauce and the fermented chili paste and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan to about 350°. Add in the egg plant and fry until golden brown; remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined sheet.
- Now, deep fry the potato pieces until golden brown and tender; remove and transfer to same pan with the eggplant.
- Remove all oil from the skillet except for a couple of tablespoons. When oil is oil again add in the green onions, ginger and garlic then add in the fried potatoes, red bell pepper and about 1-2 tablespoons of water. Stir for about a minute or so and then add in the sauce ingredients. Stir to coat everything. Add in the eggplant and cook for about one minute more.
*Note: I added the fermented chili paste go add some heat to the dish. If you do not have this you can add some crushed red pepper to taste or some sriracha sauce. This recipe based on one I saw at kitchen stories.com