What a quick little appetizer to make.
My only experience with salmon before I got married was with the canned variety being made into salmon patties (croquets) by my mother; and our favorite way of eating the crispy, pan-fried patties was with mushroom soup poured over them like a gravy and that would have been canned mushroom soup.
Then we moved to Texas where I discovered more varieties of fish than I could have ever imagined. We now have available all kinds of fresh fish and I’m constantly coming up with different ways of preparing it. Salmon is one of my favorites especially when my husband cooks it on the grill.
My friend, Peggy, can always come up with a little appetizer that can be throw together at a moments notice. We have been trading recipes for years and back in the summer she did a smoked salmon recipe where you put a softened whipped cream cheese with chives, parsley, lemon zest and lemon juice in processor until smooth. Then you simply squirt a small amount on one of the thick style potato chips, top with a small piece of smoked salmon and serve. Talk about quick!
I just happened to have some smoked salmon in my refrigerator that I didn’t use over the holidays and I remembered another one of my friend’s recipes from back in the summer. She made one with shrimp too, but I like the salmon the best. Very simple recipe of softened cream cheese with chives, some smoked salmon, red onion, and some corn tortillas. I had some capers laying around so decided to add some of those to the layers.
Spread with the cream cheese, then add the pieces of smoked salmon and whatever else you want. I added capers and chopped red onions.
Make 4-5 layers. I think 4 makes for a better bite, not too much cream cheese filling, just the right amount.
BLAST FROM THE PAST: Here is a favorite recipe from past post that got a lot of “views”. Try the Peanut Butter Shadow Cookies the next time you need to bake cookies. Wow, I just looked and this has gotten 6,525 views (Last time I looked it was at 3,600, someone must be hungry for those cookies.)
Smoked Salmon Stacks
- 1 pkg. white corn tortillas
- 1-8 oz. carton whipped cream cheese with chives
- small package of smoked salmon
- 1/2-3/4 c. finely minced red onion
- drained capers
- Take the first corn tortilla and spread the whipped cream cheese (with chives) over the tortilla very thinly. Top with pieces of the thinly sliced smoked salmon, scatter on some red onion and capers and you can add more chives if you have them.
- Spread second tortilla thinly with the cream cheese mixture and turn upside on the first tortilla that has the cheese/salmon/toppings. Then, spread this tortilla with more cream cheese, top with salmon, capers, red onions and then do another tortilla spread with cream cheese and turn upside down on the stack. That should give you three to your stack. Do more cream cheese, salmon, onion and then do a fourth tortilla with cream cheese on one side. Put this on top of your stack and you are finished (4 to stack).
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate an hour or so. When ready to serve, cut stack in half and then cut in small triangles and put on serving platter.
CattJanuary 30, 2012 at 4:35 am
Love that these are gluten free! Thanks!
BarbaraJanuary 30, 2012 at 9:07 am
Can’t wait to try this one, Sherry!
Sichuan Red Chili Chicken – Rosemary and the GoatOctober 17, 2019 at 10:01 am
[…] FROM THE PAST: These little Smoked Salmon Stacks make a good gluten free appetizer for the summer […]