https://manabernardes.com/2024/nx9je8zttdi I love coconut, I love shrimp and I love anything crunchy/crispy like fried wontons. That’s starting to sound a little like Bubba Gump and if I remember correctly, the first time I ever ordered Coconut Shrimp was at Bubba Gump’s restaurant in San Francisco. I did another Shrimp Wonton back in July 2015 but this has a little different twist on it.
https://serenityspaonline.com/9qlolt42hvn Coconut and shrimp belong together just like jelly and peanut butter (although I don’t like jelly on peanut butter). Our Republic Grille here in The Woodlands serves an appetizer of coconut shrimp with a habanero marmalade that is crazy sweet/hot and delicious. I’m always on the lookout for new appetizers to try out on friends.
https://therepairstore.ca/566wtn38si On our trip last year to Seattle we visited Chateau Ste Michelle winery one day and I discovered several of their wines that I had never tried (mostly because they were above the price I normally want to pay for wines.) The lady who was doing our tasting told me about the recipes on their site and when she mentioned coconut shrimp I knew I was going to had to pay the website a visit; and you may just find a few recipes you want to give a try.
https://fireheartmusic.com/0cksrru8lc4 After 20 years of catering I feel like I have tried just about every combination of ingredients out there then along comes one that is different and begs me to give it a try. I hope you will try this one and then please leave a comment below (at the bottom of the recipe in “comment” section) and let me know what you thought.
https://www.justoffbase.co.uk/uncategorized/gvg2w43na BLAST FROM THE PAST: Want another shrimp recipe. Why not try my Honey Walnut Shrimp recipe.
https://www.chat-quiberon.com/2024/01/18/zfe0e2g13 The haberno was going to go into one of the sauces but after I added a jalapeño slice to the inside of the wontons, I didn’t need the extra heat.
https://equinlab.com/2024/01/18/pjw6x824ak Mix up the marinade and pour over shrimp.
Add the shrimp and marinade to the skillet and stir until the liquid has absorbed (according to the recipe). Mine never fully cooked down so I just strained off the liquid. Add the shallots (or you could use green onions) the last minute or so of cooking.
https://masterfacilitator.com/q4ljzmd9 Chop the shrimp into small pieces.
https://www.chat-quiberon.com/2024/01/18/csxuwzhh I added a handful of chopped cilantro, chopped water chestnuts, and the unsweetened and sweetened coconut; then I decided I wanted more heat so I added in about a tablespoon of red chili paste.
https://www.ngoc.org.uk/uncategorized/future-events/n0exokkjym Put about 1-2 tablespoons of the mixture into the center of a square wonton wrapper. Wet edges.
https://gungrove.com/vvji0ef2xh Fold over, making a triangle, and seal. then wet the corners of the two long sides and bring together and pinch to seal.
https://www.prehistoricsoul.com/t3ufydczlsj Here they are, hanging out until they are ready to be fried.
https://fireheartmusic.com/9y7qfa84b We fried these in a deep skillet on our power burner outside.
https://equinlab.com/2024/01/18/xjn0ocfi23 I got my sauces ready. The black sauce is some sweet soy glaze mixed with a little soy sauce and the other recipe started with my tangerine preserves I made. You can substitute orange marmalade.
- ½ lb shrimp or prawns
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 tsp finely chopped lemongrass, or zest of one lemon
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut
- ¼ cup sweetened coconut
- 1/2 c. chopped water chestnuts
- 1/3 c. chopped fresh cilantro (or parsley)
- 1 Tbsp. garlic chili paste, optional
- 24 small wonton skins
- vegetable oil for frying
- jalapeno slices, optional
- For Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 c. orange marmalde
- 2 Tbsp. Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2-1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- Combine the first 6 ingredients and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat sauté pan over med-high heat; cook shrimp with marinade until liquid has evaporated and shrimp are pink and firm. Allow to cool then finely chop shrimp. Add coconut, chili paste, cilantro, and water chestnuts to mixture and combine thoroughly.
- Place 1 tablespoon of mixture in the center of a wonton skin top with a slice of jalapeño (optional). Wet the edges of wonton with water, and then fold one corner toward its opposite corner to form a triangle. Make sure edges are sealed well. Repeat with remaining filling. Wet one corner of the triangle and bring both sides up and pinch to seal.
- Heat about 1" of oil in a pan over medium high heat. Fry wontons until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes on each side. NOTE: if your oil is too hot, the wontons will burn before cooking all the way.
- These can also be cooked in a 400°F oven for 10 minutes if you do not wish to fry them, although the texture will be different. Drain on paper towels.
- Uncooked wontons can be frozen for up to a week in advance, then fried or baked.
- For the sauce: Put all sauce ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat. Heat for 10 minutes and stir every few minutes.
- Wine Pairings
- 2013 Cold Creek Vineyard Riesling
- 2014 Midsummer's White
- *The recipe calls for 1 tsp. finely chopped lemongrass, you can substitute the zest of one lemon.