Memories of Napa Valley
I have been to Napa Valley 5 times. Each trip was enjoyable but so different from each other. The first trip I took with my husband was when we were thinking over a transfer to San Francisco. (Didn’t happen) We had one day to visit Napa so that was a rushed trip but we fit in as much as possible.
The second trip was after a family ski vacation to Lake Tahoe. We had a day and a half to see Napa, San Francisco (the wharf, China town and all other sites) plus Muir Woods. This was like a National Lampoon’s Family Vacation. We had very little time but wanted to see everything. We were like a bunch of little mice running all over the place. Kind of funny when I think of it now.
The third trip was with my twin sister and we went to celebrate our 50th birthday. We took two other friends along and tried to fit in every winery there in 3 days. Of course that didn’t happen but we did have loads of fun.
The fourth trip was with friends G & P and we went the week before 9/11. We had such a great time we had nicknames for each other – “superfly” (that was G) and P and me were “Thelma and Louise”. We drove a red Mustang convertible. We had some great food (always), great company (always), and wonderful wines.
The fifth trip was a mother/daughter trip with friend/daughter. I think this was the best. We saw Jersey Boys in San Francisco ate at Wolfgang Puck’s restaurant, Postrio and the trip to Napa was more relaxed. We only went to the wineries that we were really interested in and had some wonderful dinners.
This recipe for Pecorino Cheese Pudding I first had at Tra Vigne restaurant there and I knew after tasting it that I had to come up with a recipe. I found a recipe for garlic pudding and from there came up with my own recipe. The restaurant baked theirs in small individual ramekins. I bake mine in a larger dish when trying to serve a crowd. I hope you enjoy this as much as I do. It always brings back memories of Napa for me.
Pecorino Cheese Pudding
- 6 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 2 c. heavy cream
- salt and white pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 – 2 c. pecorino cheese grated
- 3-4 heads garlic peeled, sliced and lightly sauteed in olive oil
- 1/2 cup olive oil or more as needed
- Spray mold/pan with cooking spray. Beat eggs and egg whites. Add the heavy cream. Mix well. Add the grated cheese. Pour into mold 3/4 full. Put in this into a water bath. Bake at 324° for 1 hour 15 minutes or knife inserted in center comes out clean. When it is done, run a knife around edge. Put a serving plate on top, and flip the dish over. Add the sauteed garlic to a little more oil and pour this arround pudding with. Serve with buttered toasted baguette slices.