Why have I never posted this recipe?
I don’t know why I’ve never posted this recipe. I guess I thought that maybe everyone has already tried it. I’ve been making this salad for over 20 years and the recipe came from Stop and Smell the Rosemary cookbook which came out in 1996.
This is the perfect summer salad made with fresh baby spinach, some fresh out of the patch sweet strawberries, fresh dill and toasted almonds or pistachios. The dressing has a bit of sugar in it for just the right amount of sweetness to go with the other ingredients. A little crispy bacon bits on top would be a great addition but not part of the original recipe.
As soon as the weather starts warming up I start thinking about just doing a meat (grilled of course) and a easy salad. We don’t need to eat huge meals and I would like to save room for dessert (always). This salad has such a fresh taste that it will go with any kind of protein you want to throw on the grill for a quick spring/summer dinner.
I like to use bagged spinach (mostly because I don’t have to wash it) and I like the baby spinach the best for this recipe. I’ve also like to add some arugula to the spinach which adds a peppery taste. Make the dressing up a couple of days in advance and then just toss the salad right before serving.
Slice the green onions thin.
Put the spinach, strawberries and green onions in a bowl along with the fresh dill weed. Toss with enough dressing to coat. Add in the pistachio nuts.
My garden club luncheon plate; savory zucchini muffin in the middle, chicken salad made with some orange marmalade and a tortellini salad with pistachio basil dressing and of course the strawberry dill spinach salad rounds out the plate.
I think everyone had a great time. We had little cordial glasses of cucumber soup with a cheese straw perched across the top of the glass and of course glasses of champagne.
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- 1/4 c. red wine vinegar
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1 large bag fresh spinach, torn
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 c. toasted almonds, chopped or pistachio nuts
- 1 pint strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 c. fresh dill, chopped
- Whisk oil,vinegar, sugar, garlic, salt, pepper, dry mustard and onion powder until blended. Cover and chill.
- Toss spinach, green onions, almonds, strawberries and dill in a salad bowl. Just before serving, pour dressing over salad and toss.
- Try add arugula along with the spinach for a peppery taste and a few pieces of crumbled fried bacon couldn't hurt either.