Healthy chicken and avocado spread. Good with crackers or on a sandwich!
I’m not a fan of “diet” foods or even the words low-fat, low-calorie, gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free, free, free, free equals no taste at all in my opinion.
Remember the “fat-free” phase when it started? I think people gained more weight on “fat-free” product than eating normal products. Then you take gluten-free bread. I haven’t met one yet that I like; I’d rather do without. And, when it goes to vegan; who wants to give up soft creamy butter smeared on a piece of freshly baked bread right out of the oven — NOT ME. Life is too short to do without. Sure we could all cut back some place but where taste is concerned I want the real deal and maybe just not eat as much of the item.
I ran across this chicken spread on pinterest and is one of Haylie Pomroy’s recipe and as usual I though I’d make a few changes so I added jalapeño and some chopped tomato and some chile powder. It was really a good spread and I would probably like it better eater with a NORMAL cracker (even a good gluten free cracker) and not the “giraffe style” Wasa crackers I ate mine with.
This would also be great stuffed in endive leaves or little butter lettuce leaves or even stuffed into those tiny red-orange-yellow bell pepper type peppers. Hope you will give it a try and feel free to add as much avocado as you want. This has no mayo so if you need more moisture, then add more avocado or add some mayonnaise.
BLAST FROM THE PAST: Shrimp and White Bean Pizza is one of my favorite pizzas to do on the Kimodo Jim smoker. The smoker will get up to 700-800° and cooks the pizza in just a few minutes.
Chop the chicken up small. I don’t like the job that my favorite tool did; hand chopping or pulsing a few times in food processor would be much better.
Add the jalapeños in with the chicken and chop at the same time.
Mash the avocado by hand or give a few spins in your chopper if you have one.
Zest the lime and then squeeze juice.
To the chopped chicken add the avocado, lime, zest and seasoning. Stir in the red onion and the chopped tomatoes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- 2 boneless chicken breast
- 1-2 avocado
- 1/4 c. red onion, finely minced
- juice and zest of one lime
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro
- 1 medium size tomato chopped small
- 1-2 jalapeno, finely chopped (depends on how hot you want it)
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper and either bake, grill, or broil until juices run clear. Chop in food processor or by hand.
- Mix the avocado (1 if large, 2 if small) with the lime zest and juice, and chili powder. Mix thoroughly. Add the chicken to this mixture along with the red onion, jalapeño and cilantro and stir well.
- Serve with crackers on the side, stuff in a tortilla or pita and enjoy.
- I started with Hayley Pomroy's Avocado Chicken salad and add the onions, tomatoes, chile powder and jalapeño to it.