Braggadocio grits with bacon.
Last time we were back home my sister’s cousin-in-law, Kaye (McKaskle Family Farms) gave me some of their new products. I have tried their popcorn cornmeal and popcorn, and their rices, but now they have their very own mill to grind their polenta and grits. I’m always excited to try new products and products made by someone I know makes it even more special.
I didn’t get to see the mill on this visit but will the next time we are up that way.
I’m going to do another give away for a bag of their polenta, and popcorn corn meal (I used all my grits, so sorry about that). All you have to do is leave any kind of note below in the “comments” section and at the end of two weeks I will draw a name and will mail you the products to try. The first thing you have to try is to make my popcorn cornmeal muffins. They are great.
When it comes to grits my favorite is any with cheese. We didn’t grow up eating grits for breakfast and my mother probably didn’t start preparing cheese grits until after we were all married. The original cheese grits that we always made started with Kraft Garlic Cheese roll and without that product I had to resort to the next best thing and that was a small amount of Velvetta cheese.
GIVEAWAY — SO– please leave any comment below to be entered in my polenta and popcorn cornmeal giveaway. After my next two post, I will draw a name and mail you some yummy products. (You can use the polenta in place of the grits in the recipe below.)
I’m almost embarrassed by showing you Velveeta cheese but when Kraft quit making Garlic Cheese Roll, I had to turn to something.
After bringing the milk and water to a boil, stir in the grits slowly.
Cut the Velvetta into chunks and have the shredded cheese ready to add to the cooking grits.
Cook the grits 10-12 minutes until they start to thicken.
Stir in the green chiles and the cheeses. Also add the garlic powder and the butter.
Stir in the bacon after you have added in the egg/milk mixture.
Pour into the buttered dish.
I sometimes sprinkle the dish with paprika before baking.
There’s nothing better than a big pile of grits to go with anything.
Bacon Cheddar Green Chili Grits
- 4 slices bacon cut in 1" pieces, fried until crisp and crumbled
- 1 small can green chiles chopped (I used a roasted Hatch green chili I had in freezer)
- 1 c. milk plus more to add with eggs
- 3 c. water
- 1 c. grits
- 2 c. cheddar cheese
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 4 oz. Velvetta cheese
- 2 eggs with enough milk to make 1 cup
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the water and milk to a boil. Turn down to medium and add the grits and salt and pepper. Stir the grits about 10-12 minutes until they start to thicken and bubble. Add in the green chiles, cheddar cheese, garlic powder and Velvetta cheese.
- Mix the eggs in a measuring cup and add enough milk to measure 1 cup.
- Use the stick of butter first to butter your baking dish and then put the remainder into the cooking grits.
- Stir in the egg/milk mixture very slowly to keep the eggs from cooking. Cook for another 5 minutes. Add in your fried and finely chopped bacon. Pour mixture into your buttered baking dish and bake in 325° oven for about an hour or until browned and set. It make take up to 1:15. Sometimes I turn mine up to 350° towards the end. If they start to brown too much, spray some foil with cooking spray and cover top of grits loosely.