Skip the drive through today.
If I never hear the words “Egg McMuffin” it won’t be soon enough. All the years of driving and trying to find something for breakfast I have finally had enough of the golden arches egg dishes. The last trip we did to Asheville we stopped once for a chicken biscuit; and after a few bites I’m liking the chicken, of course, but not the biscuit. The finally on the trek home I decided to try the cinnamon roll. Of course, that is a lot higher in calories and sugar but at least it wasn’t another Egg McMuffin, or biscuit of some type.
I’ve made a version of this Spinach Bacon Egg Muffin before but never got around to posting it. So, when I came across this recipe, it was so pretty I just had to make it. And mine pretty much looked like Eat Drink Love’s version except I made my muffins in mini muffin pans.
This recipe is very versatile and you can make whatever adjustments you want. I changed her bacon to real bacon because I do not like anything that is suppose to taste like something else. Same with the cheese; I used normal cheddar cheese not reduced fat. For a change, try crumbled sausage and swiss and maybe some mushrooms. Some other ingredients I have in mind to try the next time will be sautéed bell peppers, green onions, asparagus with Swiss would be great. Bottom line, put whatever you want in with the eggs and give them a bake. You will enjoy them whatever you decide to put in yours.
I made 24 mini muffins from this recipe instead of 6 larger muffins. Refrigerate any leftovers and enjoy in the next couple of days; just give then a nuke for a few seconds. I’m topping my leftovers with some salsa.
The cheese was MIA in this picture.
Saute the onion in the 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
Add in the spinach and garlic and stir just until the spinach starts to wilt.
Beat the eggs, milk, salt and pepper and then stir in the cheese.
Stir in the bacon and the sautéed spinach mixture .
Spray mini muffin pans with cooking spray and then fill about 3/4 full with the egg mixture.
Bake 15-20 minutes until slightly brown and puffed.
Spinach Bacon Egg Muffins
- 1 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion finely diced
- 2 cups fresh spinach stems removed and chopped in large pieces
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 6 eggs
- 3 slices bacon fried and crumbled
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tbs. milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. pepper or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a sauté pan, heat olive oil. Add onion and cook for about 2 minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 2-3 more minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and the cheese. Season with the salt and pepper. Add the spinach mixture and the bacon and stir until well-combined.
- Either use a silicone muffin pan or spray 24 mini muffin tin with non-stick spray. Evenly distribute the egg mixture amongst each muffin tin (I filled mine about ¾ of the way). Bake for about 15 minutes or until the muffins have turned a light golden brown around the edges (20 minutes if you use large muffin pans).
- Store leftover muffins in the fridge in an airtight container. To reheat, stick in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds.