I can just see those little crabs crawling around.
When I was laying around one day recuperating the knee I was thinking of what I could make for a quick, easy and summery dinner; crab was the first thing I thought of. The second thing that came to mind were my BOYS and the pet hermit crabs they had when we lived in Iowa. We had 100 days of snow cover one year and that was when the poor little crabs met an untimely death and they froze in our basement. When we moved to Iowa, I remember someone telling us that that part of Iowa was considered the “Florida of Iowa” — no way I believed that after that year with 100 days of snow cover staring us in the face morning after morning.
We had woods behind our house where the boys sometimes would go to explore. One particular day the doorbell rang and when I opened the door there stood my two little boys, smiles beaming from ear to ear holding a five gallon bucket screaming “look mom, what we found”‘ and there staring up at me was the biggest nastiest bullfrog I have ever seen in my life. That frog did not make it through the doorway.
For some reason these crab cakes took me back to those times in Iowa with the boys and their soon to be sister, lots of snowy winter nights, good friends from church, dinner club, welcome wagon, summer and fall festivals, and lots of other memories of our time spent in Ft. Madison. I love those memories and I hope to hold on to mine forever.
So, hermit crabs, bull frogs to delicious crab cakes. What a jump. I’ve said before, my mind tends to wander. Hope you like the cakes.
After you get everything chopped up it takes only a minute to form the crab cakes.
I made my cakes about 2″ and pressed Panko crumbs into both sides.
The sauce is easy to throw together in a processor. Next time I will replace the cream with sour cream.
The red pepper horseradish sauce was very good with the crab-cakes.
We had some baked rosemary sweet potatoes and some garlic Swiss Chard to go along with our crab-cakes.
Crab Cakes with Red Pepper Horseradish Sauce
- 1 lb. lump crab-meat
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 c. mayonnaise
- 1 c. dried panko bread crumbs divided
- 1/4 c. chives chopped or 3 green onions, sliced very thin
- 1/4 c. parsley chopped
- 1/2 c. finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 5-6 Tbsp. cooking oil
- Red Pepper Horseradish Sauce:
- Red Pepper Horseradish Sauce
- 1/4 c. mayonnaise
- 1/4-1/2 c. cream**
- 1 roasted red pepper pureed
- 2 Tbsp. horseradish
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- Pick over the crab-meat discarding all shells. Mix the crab-meat 1/4 c. mayonnaise, green onion, red bell pepper and parsley, salt and pepper to taste and cayenne pepper and 1/3 cup panko bred crumbs. Gently mix and form into eight patties. Coat the outside of each patty with the remaining 3/4 cup breadcrumbs and brush off loose crumbs.
- Heat oil in skillet. Fry crab cakes in small batches 3-4 at a time until golden brown on each side, 2-3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and serve with the red pepper horseradish sauce.
- **The next time I make this sauce I will replace the cream with sour cream. The cream made a thinner sauce and I think the sour cream would add a little more tartness and creaminess.