Spring is here and asparagus is on sale!
Spring is here and we are headed to Paris in a couple of days. Ahhh, Paris in the Spring time. Ohhh, it is still going to be in the 50’s during the day and maybe some rain but that will not dampen our spirits. Maybe on a rainy day we will just have to duck into a little cafe and spend a little time people watching while enjoying a glass of wine (or two) and some wonderful cheese.
Seems like just yesterday we were getting ready for Thanksgiving and Christmas. How time flies. What I love about Spring this year is that we are going to be in France with friends. We are spending a week in Paris (staying a couple of blocks from the Louve) and then in Provence (Elygaliers) area for a second week. We are signed up for a cooking class while in Provence (Arles), which I know will be a blast and I wouldn’t be surprised if we cooked some recipe using asparagus and we have a couple of “must get reservations for” restaurants while in Provence.
Another thing I love about this Spring is that we are getting ready to have our third grandson; and hopefully he won’t arrive until we get back from our trip and then in June we are anxiously awaiting the arrival of our fourth grandson. The little Michie boys will definitely carry on the family name.
Use a vegetable peeler to thinly slice the asparagus. Any leftovers, save and throw into some eggs or a pot of soup.
Add in some toasted almonds. At the last minute I decided to add some sesame seeds that I had toasted.
A simple lemon dressing.
Dressed salad can be served as is or atop some baby spinach.
Shaved Asparagus Salad
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1-2 Tbsp. sesame seeds toasted
- 1/3 cup toasted almonds baby spinach optional
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/3 c. Olive oil salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and dry the asparagus. Using a vegetable peeler, thinly slice down the length of each asparagus spear getting as many strips as possible from each spear. Save the remainder of asparagus that you couldn't shave for other dishes. Mix together the oil and lemon juice and whisk until it has formed an emulsion. Salt and pepper to taste.
- To put together the salad, make a bed of spinach leaves on each plate. Mix the shaved asparagus with the dressing. Add in the sesame seeds. Put the asparagus on top of the spinach and then top with some Parmesan cheese and toasted almonds.
Bon Appetite! (That little bit of French will not get me very far in France.)