Cool and easy for a hot summer day.
Our temperatures here in Texas get really close to 100° on most summer days, and I don’t like hot weather and can hardly wait each evening to get in the pool with a glass of wine and a noodle to float on, and that is the best part of the day.
To me, it’s a challenge to try and come up with recipes to cook in warmer months that don’t involve me standing in the kitchen all day over a hot stove (ha, not going to happen). Lucky me, my husband loves grilling and smoking things outside. So, come summer, he is stocking up on charcoal, and woods like apple, cherry, hickory, and alder. He does absolutely the best salmon I’ve ever had and his pulled pork is the best I’ve tasted here in Texas. So, I am not putting him to work for this dish — no smoking involved.
So, if you are looking for something lighter for a lunch, brunch or dinner, try this Avocado Shrimp Salad recipe. It’s quick and really easy, and maybe make some of my Thyme Onion and Chive Muffins to go with it.
(Low Carb– I’m not counting carbs for you but a cup of avocado has 12 g carbs and this is for four salads and a cup of grapefruit sections have 19 g of carbs — also for four salads. Just adjust to fit your carb intake.)
Avocado Shrimp Salad
- 1 lb. shrimp cooked
- 1 to 2 stalks celery thinly sliced
- 1/4 c. almonds toasted
- 2 avocados sliced
- 1 to 2 c. grapefruit sections
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. orange juice*
- dash of cayenne pepper optional
- paprika to garnish
- spinach or fresh greens to use for bed for the shrimp mixture
- Mix shrimp, celery and almonds. Toss with mayonnaise sweetened and thinned with orange juice which you have added a dash of cayenne pepper. Serve atop baby spinach or shredded salad greens. Garnish plates with avocado slices and grapefruit sections.** Sprinkle with paprika.
- *The next time I make this, I am going to use orange juice concentrate so the mayonnaise mixture is a little thicker.
- **Also, in the future, I will reserve some avocado and grapefruit for garnish but I want to mix some of both of those into the shrimp mixture.