I love making things from my herb garden and it is so beautiful this year.
There’s just nothing like going out to your own herb garden and cutting some fresh herbs to use in a dish you are preparing.
Our herb garden seems to grow bigger each year, and this year I have planted three kinds of mint, chocolate mint, grapefruit mint and peppermint. I have several kinds of oregano, rosemary, thymes, lavender, arugula (not an herb), bay leaf and some dill. They are absolutely beautiful growning in pots with some day lillies and other flowers stuck here and there around them.
Today was a beautiful sunny day and I was stuck in the house all day drinking nothing but broth and eating popsicles (yuck). So, with nothing better to do, I decided to make my husband some muffins for a special treat tonight. This is a savory muffin with lots of onion flavor and they are quick and easy to make with no rising needed. Since I couldn’t eat any food today and I knew I wasn’t going to be able to try these, I took one pan of muffins over to our neighbors and my husband is left with 6 which he will probably finish off tonight.
I love my herb garden and it is just a few steps from my kitchen door.
There’s the freshly snipped herbs just waiting to be chopped up for the muffins.
Fill pans about 3/4’s full and bake until nicely browned.
Beautiful basketfull of baked muffins.
Thyme, Onion and Chive Muffins
- 1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
- 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1/2 c. onion finely chopped
- 1/4 c. chives finely chopped
- 1/2 c. butter melted
- 1 egg
- 1 c. milk
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, thyme, onion and chives. In a separate bowl, mix the butter, egg and milk. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring only until th edry ingredients are moistened. Work quickly; do not overmix.
- Spoon the batter into well-oiled or paper lined muffin cups. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Makes 12 muffins.
More herb garden pictures.