Peaches, Peaches, Peaches… Three peach recipes this week. And this one is Peachy Keen!
I was at the market today and found some peaches for 77¢ lb. and couldn’t resist getting a bag full to try a few new recipes. These were Texas peaches and very flavorful. Nothing disappoints me more than buying peaches that smell, look, and feel good only to get them home and they are either mushy or flavorless.
So, this week I’m making three peach recipes. First, this Peachy Raspberry ice cream, then a Peach Arugula Salad with Pancetta Chips and finally a Peach Melba Crunch.
Peaches and raspberries are two of my favorite fruit combinations. I have tried a couple of Sugarlaws.com yogurt recipes and really enjoyed them. She uses Greek yogurt in many of her recipes, which might make for an interesting addition to my ice cream recipe. She also adds some vodka to her ice creams to keep them from freezing too hard. Since there just happened to be some peach flavored vodka laying around that I bought for cocktails tonight, I added a splash to my Peach Raspberry Ice Cream recipe.
I love using vanilla beans in recipes. Just look at the thousands of little seeds floating around in the ice cream waiting to deliver their vanilla flavor to your taste buds.
I love using my Cuisinart ice cream maker. It is always ready and waiting for anything I want to throw into it. The raspberries were not added to the mixture until the very end, so that it wouldn’t turn totally pink. Once the ice cream was ready, I folded in the raspberries and then poured it into a container and froze for about 5 hours until we were ready to have dessert.
Candied almonds made a great garnish for the ice cream. Fresh mint and a few fresh raspberries would have also been nice, but I got eager to serve it so we just had the almonds.
Peachy Raspberry Cream
- 4-5 peaches peeled, pitted and rough chopped
- 1- 6 oz. carton Fage Greek Yogurt 0% fat
- 1 – 6 oz. Yoplait French Vanilla Yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. raw white honey or substitute regular honey
- ½ c. + 2 Tbsp. sugar
- ¾ c. Half & Half cream
- 1 Tbsp. peach flavored vodka
- 1 vanilla bean split and scraped
- 1 – 1 ½ cup fresh raspberries
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. water
- Peel and pit the peaches and do a rough chop. Put the peaches in your food processor and pulse 5-6 times but don’t totally puree them. Pour into a mixing bowl and add the two yogurts, honey, peach flavored vodka, sugar and the Half and half cream. Add the vanilla bean seeds. Pour into your ice cream maker and freeze until firm. When frozen, fold in the fresh raspberries put in freezer container and freeze 3-5 hours before you are ready to serve. Top with candied almonds.
- Put the almonds, sugar and water in small skillet and cook over medium heat until the sugar crystalizes around the almonds. May take 5-10 minutes. Pour out onto wax paper, separate almonds and cool. Store in airtight container.